Support Green is the New Pink

3.03.2008

Walking is the New Driving

By guest contributer Stacey Harman


Since greenisthenewpink.org hit the scene over a year ago, I have tried my best to incorporate “green” ways of living into my lifestyle…

I changed out all my BAD light bulbs for Eco-friendly bulbs. I started recycling, or at least reusing everything and anything I could. I unplug my cell phone chargers during the day like a good little girl. I shut down my computer when I’m not using it. I get my books from the library instead of buying new every time. I never had air conditioning to begin with so that was a non-issue. I do laundry at odd hours of the night. I drink tap water (God help me if my unborn children arrive with an extra arm or one lonely ear). And I cut back to four squares of Charmin when wiping. I figured this was the least I could do.


However…if all that sounds too difficult, yet you still want to reduce your carbon footprint (I still have no idea what that means, but it’s fun to say), if you really want to make a difference, there is one more thing you can do. It’s so simple and yet it will make a huge impact. Are you ready…?


WALK!


That’s right. You heard me…start walking. You learned the ancient art of walking when you were just one year old. You’ve been doing it for as long as you can remember, but right around 16 you learned to DRIVE (ooh - bad word, bad word) and if you’re anything like me, driving became the norm.

School was a hop, skip and a jump away but I insisted on driving my little ‘94 Hyundai back and forth everyday. Plus, if I took the long way to school, I could pass by my crush, Brian’s house, pretending I just happened to be in the neighborhood (something stalkers do). I had no idea driving two blocks here and three blocks there was actually releasing harmful toxins into the air.

If only I knew then what I know now…


DRIVING 3 miles produces roughly 1.0 KG of CO2.

Walking still sound like a drag? Maybe saving the Earth isn’t enough incentive to drive less and start walking. Here’s a little bonus incentive…

You’re getting fat. That’s right. I said it…FAT.


WALKING 3 miles burns roughly 300 calories.

  • Walking the mile to the nearest Whole Foods can and WILL help you to lose those 20 aggravating pounds you’ve put on since college
  • Walking to your favorite bar (which is undoubtedly in your own neighborhood anyway) will not only reduce your carbon footprint (heehee – I said it again), but also, stop you from “one-eyeing” it on the way home which is not only dangerous, but illegal.
  • And here’s another brilliant idea…WALK to the gym, Fatty. I was driving to my gym everyday when finally it dawned on me…My gym is only 1.3 miles from my house. That’s 130 calories each way if I walk. My 30 minutes of cardio combined with walking the 2.6 mile round trip may just be the perfect combination for reducing my thunder thighs and saving the Earth all at once


Do your part…Save the Earth…WALK.

-Stacey is a writer who lives in Los Angeles

5 comments:

GlossGypsy said...

Hilarious Harman. Meet me at the Belmont.

Anonymous said...

I love it! You girls are really reaching people with your awesome delivery! Great guest writer!

Anonymous said...

Love the site, great writting keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jeanpaulnyc said...

Heads up!! Try think green lady for green cleaning services! They are amazing..i just tipped the lady twice!!! she steam cleaned my stove and it looks like it did when bought my place!! Check it out www.thinkgreenlady.com!! thank me later!!